I’m not entirely sure where this idea came from, but it’s been floating around in my head for a few days. I’m wondering if anyone else would like to participate in it.
Basically, I’m thinking about on a fairly regular basis (once a month?) offering up (for free) my services for someone who needs help with something I know how to do. Here are the parameters I’m thinking of:
- I’d make a list of the things that I feel comfortable doing: hacking WordPress themes, using Google spreadsheets, Yahoo! Pipes and/or Simile to do simple data visualizations, etc. (also training people how to do these things)
- I’d ask if anyone had a project along these lines that they were trying to complete.
- The project would have to be non-commercial.
- The project would have be something that I feel I could get done in a reasonable, set amount of time (probably about half a day’s work)
- There would be no guarantee of complete success, but I’d promise to work as hard as I can on it. 🙂
Then I’d basically give away services for that set amount of time working on that project.
The only “payment” I’d request would be that the person do the same for someone else (offering up a free number of hours of service doing something he/she was good at.)
I can imagine this growing into a bit of a community project. I can also imagine that something like this already exists?
What do people think?